Tuesday, December 16, 2008

What President-elect Barack Obama's historic election means to me

"What President-elect Barack Obama's historic election means to me".

Personally
I had my doubts, then again I had the same doubts about African in South Africa, I was wrong then and glad I was wrong this time...

Thanks God our youth have finally found their voices, alone with those of their well meaning parents.


Yes, IT WAS WHITE FOLKS that selected Obama to be nominated on the Democratic ticket... It was mostly them that volunteered and donated money to his compaign funds. We, us Black folks, jumped on the bandwagon after his selection and authentication by white folks. Which is good. Credit be given to those that deserves it the most. Not like during the struggle for the civil-rights we now enjoy, when in reality only a few stuck their necks out, like taking part in the marching, the water hoses, attack dogs, jails , etc. Yet, when at last the battle was won (to the extent that we now enjoy) the non-warriors were first to come forward with their chests out, wearing their newly purchased dashikis.

OK, enough of that... Now for my opinions, and this is coming from a 75 year old Korean war veteran who at age 17, found himself fighting for his life (as a Combat Infantryman for nine (9) bloody months) in a place he had never heard of before: Korea, 1950/51. During which time I developed not only a soldier's mentality but a political consciousness as well. Hearing older men discussing racial discrimination in both civilian and military life as it was during those times. I began to question the role of my all-black unit in the Korean war. Supposedly we were protecting freedom, justice, and the American way of life, but what was that way of life for blacks people in the United States? Where was the freedom? Why were we the Buffalo Soldiers laying their lives on the line for a country in which we African-American (Negroes then) were sometimes denied even the right to vote? A Black President then was beyond anyone’s imagination. Black or White.

Needless to say, it has restored my hope in our (American) domestic and foreign policy's.

These photos was taken in Chicago during Obama's campaigning for U.S. Senate. Over a period of 4 years...

http://mysankofa.shutterbugstorefront.com/g/obama-in_chicago


Forgotten Warriors. Forgotten Wars.
Artist, Author, Freelance-Photographer

My Online Photo-Galleries;
http://mysankofa.shutterbugstorefront.com/g/

No comments: